Clear all

[Sticky] Employment stories

13 Posts
7 Users
17 Likes
Marcin Kleban
Topic starter
(@marcin-kleban)

All of us have our individual employment stories. These include part-time, temporary, holiday or perhaps permanent positions. Getting a job always requires of us a display of communication and other skills. We would be grateful if you could tell us a (short) story about how you got a teaching job or some other one. It could even be a story of how you got your first holiday job and what it took to get it. Please  share them either here on Instagram with #tefe. Piccies welcome 🙂 Thanks!

12 Replies
Simona Koubová
(@simona_koubova)

Hello! Sorry for posting a slightly longer piece of text, but it somehow summarises all of my jobs, and also describes how I became a teacher.

I had tried many various summer jobs before I started teaching. I worked manually at a factory, then I tried to work at a call centre (I left after two weeks), I even worked as a saleswoman in a supermarket. All these jobs provided me with a great experience. However, there was always something that I didn’t like about the job. When I started to study at the university, I decided to teach English and Czech. I immediately fell in love with it. A few months ago, I went for a job interview at a private language school in České Budějovice. I would say, I arrived for the interview completely unprepared. I had no idea what to expect from it. I just wanted to give it a try. My future boss held the interview in English, which was pretty unexpected for me. But I managed to answer all her questions, so, in the end, it was OK. She told me that she appreciated my flexibility (she went briefly through my CV and saw all the positions had tried). She also asked me about my most interesting teaching experience. I told her, that it was to teach a small group of elderly teachers. They helped me to develop all the necessary skills for this job. The feedback they were giving me all the time was priceless. They helped me to understand how the communication between the teacher and the students/pupils works, how I should give them instructions, how I am supposed to ask questions, how I should put the worksheets together (however, they were the teachers of completely different subjects). My boss was surprised but pleased. So, my humble advice for you. If you ever get a chance to teach teachers, do it! They can be very helpful in developing your teaching skills. (Btw, we also went through the online year together. It is shown in the enclosed picture.)

1 Reply
Marcin Kleban
(@marcin-kleban)

Marcin Kleban
Topic starter
(@marcin-kleban)

Fantastic story, thanks Simona👌 !!!

Krzysztof Kopczyk
(@krzysiek)

The story of my first job is quite unusual. After having zero experience in gastronomy, I thought of starting work as a cook in a local pizza point. Everything happened in one afternoon. I sent a CV and I was invited for an interview. The employer, after looking at my poor job record was rather skeptical, but I assured him that I am a quick learner and very motivated. As a joke he said „then go to the kitchen and we will see”. I went, did great and came back home with a job and a fresh-made pizza. I think that this kind of flexibility and determination may prove useful in my future teacher work and I encourage everyone to take the risk sometimes.

1 Reply
Marcin Kleban
(@marcin-kleban)

@krzysiek This is vary motivating for anyone Krzysztof! Thanks

Karolina Drabik
(@karolina-drabik)

I have worked in several places and it has always involved working with children. My first job was being a swimming instructor for children in the 2-6 age group and I am also a camp teacher. However, the most interesting (which is still ordinary nonetheless) story involves applying for a job as a theatre teacher.
I found an ad for a school online, on a popular job search site. As a big theatre lover, I sent my CV to the e-mail address indicated in the job advertisement. One day later I got a call back from the office saying that the school is an international school and therefore there are children from different countries attending classes. She also warned me that some of them might not speak Polish or English, but she invited me for an interview anyway. During the interview, she asked me about the specific points on my CV that she was interested in, my language skills (which she also tested in practice) and my general idea for the classes. She asked if I was able to prepare a whole year's programme of activities. She also put me in different situations that might happen when working with children and asked me how I would react. The whole conversation lasted about an hour. At the end she took me to the room where the activities were to take place.
After the conversation she said she would call me back by the end of the week. Today we are colleagues 🙂

Page 1 / 2
Share: